Yo San University was founded by brothers Dr. Daoshing Ni and Dr. Mao Shing Ni, who named the University after their grandfather, Master Yo-San Ni, a healer and teacher in the Taoist tradition. The Ni family enjoys a rare, unbroken lineage of 38 generations of Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners. YSU was established to carry on this lineage; to promote standards of educational excellence in the field of Traditional Chinese Medicine; and to establish a program in this country that fosters the medicine’s Taoist roots. The Ni brothers’ father, Master Hua-Ching Ni, a well-known practitioner and educator in Los Angeles, served as University Chancellor in the early years. Our first first class of eight students began their studies in January 1989.
From those modest beginnings, the University now has some 200 students in our Master’s and Doctoral degree programs. They come from around the globe and bring a richness of experience and perspective to every class. The Yo San University Community Clinic not only serves as a training center for our students, but also provides residents of the West Los Angeles area with affordable acupuncture and TCM.
Yo San University, a nonprofit organization, educates students to become exceptional practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the Taoist healing arts. The school facilitates the development of students’ spiritual and professional growth, and provides the community with an integrative medical care model and services.
Inspiring the next
generation of healthcare
OUR CORE VALUES
Yo San University through its faculty and staff is committed to serving our students, the healthcare professions, and the community by fostering an environment that promotes:
- The Pursuit of excellence
- Compassion and care
- Awareness of Taoist principles: Self-reliance, Self-responsibility, Self-discipline.
- Cultivating and transforming lives
OUR EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Yo San University graduates demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the theories and principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the clinical skills and; proficiency to competently evaluate patients using Traditional Chinese Medicine examination techniques, formulate a medical diagnosis and treatment strategy, and carry out the treatment in a skillful and professional manner.
- Yo San University graduates understand the importance of Qi-cultivation in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and demonstrate practical skills in the various techniques of Qi-cultivation.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the necessary skills to begin their professional practice and be able to effectively communicate, educate and work with the public in integrative medical care models.
- Yo San University graduates recognize the importance of conducting their practice in an ethical and professional manner, and engage in the practice of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine within the appropriate federal and state legal requirements.
Our founders Daoshing Ni and Mao Shing NI established Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine to “pass on the teachings of their father, Hua-Ching Ni, their grandfather, Yo San Ni, and the ancient teachers of Chinese Medicine to future generations . . .
The Ni family enjoys a rare and unbroken lineage of 38 generations of healers practicing Chinese Medicine. The University was established to carry on this lineage . . .
Founded in 1989, Yo San University has grown from eight students in the first class to more than 200 with two fully accredited programs of study and a comprehensive acupuncture clinic.
The essential art of Chinese medicine is the foretelling and prevention of disease rather than the treatment of illness . . . .” ~ The Subtle Universal Law, Lao Tzu
Founded in 1989, Yo San University is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization organized and devoted to educating all those who seek to become practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine. We are fully accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
Mao Shing Ni, L.Ac., D.O.M., Ph.D, Dipl. C.H., ABAAP
Dr. Mao Shing Ni, popularly known as Dr. Mao, is the 38th generation of Chinese medicine doctors in his family. Well known and respected in the field of integrative and anti-aging medicine, he is the cofounder of Tao of Wellness and Yo San University.
Dr. Mao holds two doctorates as well as being board certified in anti-aging medicine. Dr. Mao has written 18 books, including his bestselling books Secrets of Longevity, Second Spring, Secrets of Longevity Cookbook and his latest, Live Your Ultimate Life. Awarded Best of the Best on The Doctor Oz Show, Dr. Mao can also be seen on The Doctors, Katie Couric, as well as the pages of The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times. Online he writes about natural health and longevity on The Huffington Post, Ask Dr. Mao, EmpowHer and other popular websites and speaks at medical conferences internationally.
Dr. Mao maintains a full time clinical practice with his brother, Dr. Daoshing Ni and their team of doctors at Tao of Wellness, integrative medical centers with offices in Santa Monica and Pasadena, California.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Yo San University Board is comprised of community leaders who bring a wealth of personal and professional experiences and dedication to steering the University toward inspiring the next generation of healthcare.
ADMINISTRATION & STAFF
Our dedicated staff work each day to make our students YSU’s first priority and our partners in implementing the strategic vision.
TRANSPARENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY
As a non-profit educational provider located in the State of California, Yo San University strives to be transparent and accountable to our constituents and all California residents.