Yo San University was founded by brothers Dr. Daoshing Ni and Dr. Mao Shing Ni, who named the University after their grandfather, Master Yo-San Ni, a healer and teacher in the Taoist tradition. The Ni family enjoys a rare, unbroken lineage of 38 generations of Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners. YSU was established to carry on this lineage; to promote standards of educational excellence in the field of Traditional Chinese Medicine; and to establish a program in this country that fosters the medicine’s Taoist roots. The Ni brothers’ father, Master Hua-Ching Ni, a well-known practitioner and educator in Los Angeles, served as University Chancellor in the early years. Our first first class of eight students began their studies in January 1989.
From those modest beginnings, the University now has some 200 students in our Master’s and Doctoral degree programs. They come from around the globe and bring a richness of experience and perspective to every class. The Yo San University Community Clinic not only serves as a training center for our students, but also provides residents of the West L.A. area with affordable acupuncture and TCM.
Yo San University, a nonprofit organization, educates students to become exceptional practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the Taoist healing arts. The school facilitates the development of students’ spiritual and professional growth, and provides the community with an integrative medical care model and services.
Inspiring the next
generation of healthcare
OUR CORE VALUES
Yo San University through its faculty and staff is committed to serving our students, the healthcare professions, and the community by fostering an environment that promotes:
- The Pursuit of excellence
- Compassion and care
- Awareness of Taoist principles: Self-reliance, Self-responsibility, Self-discipline.
- Cultivating and transforming lives
OUR EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Yo San University graduates demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the theories and principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the clinical skills and; proficiency to competently evaluate patients using Traditional Chinese Medicine examination techniques, formulate a medical diagnosis and treatment strategy, and carry out the treatment in a skillful and professional manner.
- Yo San University graduates understand the importance of Qi-cultivation in Traditional Chinese Medicine, and demonstrate practical skills in the various techniques of Qi-cultivation.
- Yo San University graduates will have acquired the necessary skills to begin their professional practice and be able to effectively communicate, educate and work with the public in integrative medical care models.
- Yo San University graduates recognize the importance of conducting their practice in an ethical and professional manner, and engage in the practice of acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine within the appropriate federal and state legal requirements.
Our founders Daoshing Ni and Mao Shing NI established Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine to “pass on the teachings of their father, Hua-Ching Ni, their grandfather, Yo San Ni, and the ancient teachers of Chinese Medicine to future generations . . .
Yo San University is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization organized and devoted to educating all those who seek to become practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine. We are fully accredited by The Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
Lawrence Lau, MD, MSOM, Dipl. Ac.(NCCAOM), L.Ac.
Dr. Lau graduated from medical school in Singapore where he was in private practice for several years before moving to Hong Kong for advanced training. His interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine brought him to California where he obtained a Masters degree in Oriental Medicine and California acupuncture licensure. Lawrence joined Yo San University in 2001 and currently holds the appointment of Dean of Academic and Clinical Affairs. In addition to teaching courses in Western and integrative clinical medicine, Lawrence also maintains a private practice at Yo San University. Lawrence was instrumental in setting up the Premiere Oncology Foundation/Yo San University Integrative Clinic program in 2007 and was principal acupuncturist for the collaboration from its inception to 2009. Lawrence was also part of the team that successfully launched the Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA)/Yo San University Pediatric Acupuncture program that formally introduced acupuncture as a validated treatment modality at CHLA.
An active member of the acupuncture/Oriental medicine profession, Dr. Lau is an accreditation specialist with the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) as well as with the Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine (ACAOM), and regularly participates in accreditation site visits to acupuncture schools across the US. In 2016, Dr. Lau was elected as Council Member in the Specialty Committee on Internal Medicine of the World Federation of Chinese Medicine Societies.
The Yo San University Board is comprised of community leaders who bring a wealth of personal and professional experiences and dedication to steering the University toward inspiring the next generation of healthcare.
As a non-profit educational provider located in the State of California, Yo San University strives to be transparent and accountable to our constituents and all California residents.